Sunday, July 5, 2009

4th of July

It's strange spending the 4th of July outside of the United States. We took a morning trip to Texas to wash clothes and get some groceries, then made it back to Mexico. After lunch, we packed up La Playa (the mini van) and Fiel (one of the many trucks) and made our way out to the river. Americans call it the Rio Grande, Mexicans call it the Rio Bravo. Regardless, we had a great time away from work. The river is fairly shallow close to the bank, but the current is very strong. We spent most of the day sitting in the river (with rocks in our lap) trying to stay in the same place- easier said than done. After seeing two of the guys swim across the river, I decided I wanted to try it to. It was tough, but we made it there and back- what a workout! On the way home, we picked up some tacos from a great little taco stand and then made it up to the 3rd floor balcony of the hotel just in time to see the end of the Eagle Pass (Texas) fireworks.

We picked up Jose (construction foreman- fulltime CPC Mexican staff) and Armando (aka Cobra, fulltime CPC Mexican staff) on our way


Looks can be decieving! It looks calm, but was not at all!!!


Michael trying to catch a fish


Jay and Mike swam across & wave from Texas- zoomed in all the way (I didn't get a picture of us crossing on my camera- I'll have to get one and post it later)


Our one and only group picture of the staff down here now (there are many folks that come and go all summer for 2 or more weeks at a time)

front: Julie (construction diva), me (houseparent)
2nd row: Armando (construction), John (director of construction), Alyssa (friend of Ashlee's visiting this weekend), Ashlee (director of education & medicine)
3rd row: Jose (construcion), Greg (construction), Michael (construction), Jay (construction), Laura (houseparent) & Leslie (houseparent)

1 comment:

  1. Emily, the pics are amazing! Now I know my secret source in case I'm lacking some yearbook pics! What an amazing trip you're having and so beneficial to so many deserving people.

    ReplyDelete