My computer is still down, so communication has been less than ideal. Things are going well. We have three groups this week (North Carolina, Minnesota & Texas) and they've been great. The groups from Minnesota and Texas work primarily as one large group, but are still building two houses. They go all out with the food...and luckily brought enough to share, so we're eating really well during the day.
Because I'm the solo houseparent here this week, I did as much as I could do over the weekend when I had help. I will have to cross again tomorrow for the rest of the weekly groceries, but have been able to shop here in the meantime. I've spent most of my time cleaning & organizing the trailers, and have helped with construction some too. I've been busy, but feel good (though I'm sure the 2 hour siesta helps offset the 4 am wakeup).
Safety is, as always, a concern, but we're doing our best to take every precaution possible. As a favor, the second in command to the police chief of Piedras came to speak to the groups when they arrived on Sunday. He said that this small town is getting larger, and just as when a family adds members, you have growing pains and more problems. The crime here is much like crime in Birmingham or San Antonio or Atlanta. Drugs seem to be the driving force. From the outside, I can see why the concern exists, but seeing it firsthand, I feel completely safe.
That's it for now. I'm off to change some money over before the water truck gets here. Hopefully I can get my computer fixed and post pictures soon...since that's all you want to see anyway!
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yes- PLEASE be careful and head your butt back home if it gets too bad! Hope you get your computer fixed. I know that's frustrating. Take care of yourself and keep us updated! Love ya!
ReplyDeleteI've been thinking about you! Glad to hear it's going well down there.
ReplyDelete